home bio gigs music photos press blog www.mickterry.co.uk Image Map

Sunday 8 February 2009

I'll have what She's having.


Rocking the iPod this afternoon, whilst simultaneously cooking the Sunday Roast (who said Men can't multi-task?), I gave Bleu's debut album, Redhead, the full "Eleven. Exactly, One louder" treatment. My son, Finn, listened to a few tracks and then said "Is this Paul McCartney?". When I informed him who it was, quick as a flash, he replied "But, they all sound like Paul McCartney". I'll admit that I have been on something of a McCartney-esque singer/songwriter buzz for a few weeks now, but, jeez, was this true? Am I that tightly locked into that Genre? Do they all really sound the same? I hope that this phase will pass and I can get back to spinning some Iggy and the Stooges, followed by some Marvin Gaye and all washed down with a nice glass of Calexico.

I must point out that Finn does not have your average 7 year old's musical taste - for 2 weeks solid on the school run, we had to have The Band's Stage Fright album on constant rotation on the car stereo and, in particular, "Ring your Bell" followed by "Ophelia" . Now, I love Levon Helm and the boys, as much as the next man, MAN!, but, at the end of the fortnight, I was seriously considering doing a "Manuel" myself!

Perhaps my current musical mood is best explained by a comment my wife made a few years back, during a shopping expedition in New York. I had offered to help her find some shoes and when I asked her what kind of shoes it was she was looking for, she replied, pointing at her own shoes, "Exactly the same as these, but, different"

No comments: