home bio gigs music photos press blog www.mickterry.co.uk Image Map

Wednesday 18 February 2009

Alfie


Alfie by Name, Alfie by Nature. I love this picture of my old drinking buddy, Alfie. It's almost as if he is looking right into the camera and, for that split second, with a knowing smile, saying
"Are you ready me, World?"

Alfie was always a very dapper fellow and, still to this day, is the only bloke I know who wore a pink bow tie and got away with it. Well, that's not strictly true, as there was some smashing of glass, followed by a scene straight out the of a wild west saloon, but, that's another story.

Alfie's hobby is Women. Always has been and, probably, always will be. If I didn't already know that the Alfie novel by Bill Naughton had been written in the '60's, I would have sworn that Alfie was the inspiration for it. I guess that we all know someone like Alfie.

Tomorrow, Alfie is off to Brazil for the Carnival. Sun, Sea, Birds and Booze!
In the immortal words of Jimmy Cooper in Quadrophenia; "Get in there, my Son"

3 comments:

Masher said...

How coincidental: driving into work half an hour ago, I switched the radio over to BBC London and heard Paul Ross ask of Jo Goode who had written Alfie. She correctly answered with Bill Naughton. It didn't get mentioned again.

Is it some sort of Bill Naughton/Alfie day, today?

Mick Terry said...

A national holiday in tribute to Bill Naughton - "Alfie Day". I am always up for another day off!

Masher said...

OK, what's going on?
There is a comment in The Sun today about Cilla Black's song, What's It All About, Alfie? saying, "we know what it's all about now, don't we!"

Three Alfie references in one day? I'm definitely missing something here.