home bio gigs music photos press blog www.mickterry.co.uk Image Map

Friday 3 April 2009

London Converse(ation)


Age brings many new experiences and among them, for me at least, was Plantar Fasciitis. Flat feet, fallen arches, call it what you will, but, I think it is a condition best described as "like having the soles of your feet beaten with lumps of 4" x 2" for hours on end". After many painful years I finally got them sorted out with the help of some (very) expensive custom made orthotics - insoles to you and I. As a result, two things have returned into my life;

1: The ability to run again (I'm entering the Windsor Half Marathon in september!)
2: The ability to wear Converse "Chuck Taylor" All Star trainers pain free.

Now, this may not seem like a fantastically healthy return on my hefty clog insert investment, but, I believe that Chuck's All Star's are the ultimate Rock 'n' Roll footwear. They look cool with everything from Jeans to Trousers to Shorts and, even, Suits - Hell Yeah! Every Rock Star has courted the "Chuck" at one time or another, and, if they haven't, then they are obviously not a Rock Star. Converse have taken on an almost mythical status among those in the know, so much so, that when I once spied a pristine pair of all-leather "Jack Purcells" (the older brother of the Chuck) in the corner of best pal Christov's room, he looked at me and, with just the hint of a smile on his face, said "For my Wedding". If he ever does trot down the aisle, I'd say it's a good each way bet that his feet will be adorned by said pair of "Jack's".

No comments: